Friday, December 01, 2006

The Wii Rebellion, My Film Script, and Incoherent, Random Babblings

I'm sick of it all. The manufactured hype. The secrecy. The greed.

So I'm protesting. I'm not even going to try to buy a Wii until way after Christmas. Maybe early spring. I don't know. Just whenever this madness dies down.

The good news is that I spent some of the money I was saving on something that will keep my busy for now, and provide a lot of material for this blog - Movies and Books! Books on Movies! Movies on Books!

I bought some of my favorite films of all time:

The Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
The Truman Show
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Big Fish
Fellowship of the Ring (Why I ever sold it I don't know... For a film junkie like me it's near blasphemous)

The books I racked up on:

The Unusual Suspect by Stephen Baldwin (Yes, that Stephen Baldwin. His conversion tale and an insider's look at the corruption of Hollywood)

A book on acting (Recommended by Director David Mamet, author of On Directing Film that I'm about to finish)

A book on camera shots and terminology

There and Back Again: An Actor's Tale by Sean Astin. (His personal account of the making of LOTR)

Needless to say, I've got a lot to keep me busy honing my craft and simply having fun reading for a change. Every now and then you just need a break from deep stuff to read something for fun. I'm not very good at making myself do that. I guess that's when I start to get burned out, when I push myself like that.

Also, if you got my script, know that I'm going to make MAJOR changes to it. After reading one of my books, I realized I have a long way to go to make it a GOOD movie. If you didn't get it, email me and I'll email it to you. (Photog3535@yahoo.com)

I'll stop this random babbling with this thought... Why do Christians give a pass to Christian movies that are terrible and say they are good just because they have a message? If a Christian home builder built a house with John 3:16 plastered on the roof for every single airplane flying overhead to check out and hear (see?) the gospel, but the roof was so badly constructed that your grandmother sleeping in the spare bedroom would be crushed when it caves in simply from the vibrations of the above mentioned plane flying overhead, would we give him a pass and say that it's a great home, just because he invoked John 3:16?

Is it any different with movies?

1 Comments:

Blogger amanda. said...

I'd join your Wii Rebellion but I haven't bought a game system since the original nintendo so any threats I make not to buy it me don't really carry any weight.

The Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite movies too. In fact, your entire list is on my list of favorites.

You'll have to let me know how that Sean Astin book turns out. Sounds like a great read, but some actors just weren't meant to write.

Man, this was a really long comment.

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home